Cinnamon Crunch Cookies



Biscuits seem to be the baking staple of the U household. It's the only baked good that the tripolatas are guaranteed to eat (I've tried apple pie, they ate the apples and left the crust).

Mr U (supposedly) only likes plain cakes, no frosting, no fruit, seed or nuts. So until my boys learn how to appreciate a good home made pie, my oven will be filled with biscuits and the odd cake.



For this reason I've been trying to come up with a new biscuit recipe. I'm getting bored with shortbread and biscotti, and didn't want to just copy someone else's recipe.

After some research I came up with Cinnamon Crunch Cookies, they're quick to whip up and can easily be adapted.

I made four batches before I was happy with them. The first batch was very well done. The second batch was a little less well done and I finally admitted that the cinnamon was a overpowering. The third one had the perfect cinnamon quotient but was still a little overdone.

Then finally these came out of the oven.


It worked, the tripolatas love them, and they made many attempts to swipe them straight from the cooling rack. At one point I had tripolata#2 in a fireman's lift, was holding onto #3's arm whilst trying to use my leg to stop #1 running into the kitchen.
They of course thought this was hilarious, and still managed to get more cookies. Kids =0

So here's what you'll need: click here for the video or go to the bottom of the page.

Makes 16
115g of softened butter
70g of light brown sugar
40g of castor sugar, plus 1/2 tsp extra
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp honey
175g self raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon

and this is what you'll need to do:

Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F and grease a baking sheet

1.  Mix the butter and sugar together in a freestanding mixer or with an electric whisk until it is light and fluffy

2. Add the vanilla extract and honey, then mix again.



3. Add half the flour to a bowl and then pour in the butter and sugar mix. Mix these together until just combined and then mix in the remaining flour.



4. Pour the cinnamon and extra sugar onto a plate. Roll the dough into balls (about 25g each). Roll the balls into the sugar and cinnamon and then place on a greased baking sheet.



Don't flatten the dough and leave enough space for them to spread.



5. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes, turning the baking sheet for the last two minutes to achieve an even bake.

6. Once baked, leave the cookies on the baking sheet to cool down before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container.

Notes:
* If you don't want a massive cinnamon hit, sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on the plate a little at a time.

* Mix up the sugar and cinnamon before each use or the sugar will sit at the bottom and the last batch will taste more like a Sugar Crunch Cookie.

I would love to know how these turn out.






Comments

  1. Wow, these look fantastic. Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at the #WWDParty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, I'm trying to grow as a blogger and only just discovered link-up parties. Whoever came up with the concept is a genius.

      Delete
  2. These sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look and sound heavenly! Thank you for sharing them on the Go Crochet Crazy Spring Fling Link-a-Long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Mary, I look forward to the next one.

      Delete
  4. Congrats, you have been selected as a Featured Blogger this week at the #WWDParty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much. Whoop whoop (does a little dance).

      Delete
  5. Yum, I love cinnamon, I bet these cookies would be delicious! I would love to invite you to share your recipe at Meal Planning Monday Recipe link-Up. :) http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting me know about your link party April.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THanks for joining and linking to the WWDParty! These look great. I know calculators/converters would make this easy for me to make in America.

    (You used the term cookie in the title, but cakes and biscuits in the post. Which is the most popular term in the UK for these sweet little round delights?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out the post Annette, I'm glad you like them. With regards to biscuits vs cookies I think most people here would use biscuits. With this post I used cookie in the title because I thought it sounded nicer than Cinnamon Crunch Biscuits.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your recipe at Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up. :) I hope you stop by and join us again this week. http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up-4.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to know what you think.