French Toast Roll Ups


Yesterday I Stumbled Upon a great breakfast treat, these French Toast Roll Ups, over at It's Peachy Keen.

She spread jam and cream cheese onto a flattened slice of bread, rolled it up, dipped it in egg and milk and then fried it in a little butter. They looked so good that I had to make some myself this morning, but with my own choice of fillings.


Instead of jam and cheese, I used chocolate and pistachio fudge sauce (the same type that  used in my Chocolate and Pistachio Fudge Tarts) and cheese and ham (technically it was cheese and wafer thin chicken, but cheese and ham sounds, and would probably taste, better).

These tasted like pancakes, particularly the cheese ones, which reminded me of the savoury pancakes they have at My Old Dutch.

They're not the most healthiest breakfast, but they are delicious, which in my books is all that matters.


Click here for the original post.

Here's what you'll need: makes 10
10 slices of bread
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
sugar
cinnamon
chocolate spread (or my chocolate and pistachio fudge)
2 cheese slices
approx 5 chicken slices or any sandwich meat.

Here's what you'll need to do:

Remove the crust from the slices of bread and flatten with a rolling pin.

Whisk the egg and milk together in a container or shallow bowl.
Put the sugar and cinnamon together in a shallow bowl or plate.


For the chocolate roll ups, spread the sauce at the bottom end of the slice of bread.
For the cheese and ham (chicken), tear one ham/chicken slice in half and place at the bottom end of the bread. Cut the cheese into very thin strips and place a few on top of the meat.

Roll up the bread, then roll into the egg mix.

Place in a pan of melted butter and fry, seam side down, until brown. Continue to turn each roll up until they're brown all over.

Take out of the pan and roll in the sugar and cinnamon mix.
Eat and enjoy.

Other filling ideas that I'd like to try with this are: banana, applesauce, and (my absolute favourite) cheese and bacon. 

What would you roll up?

Comments

  1. They look yummy! ...I may also be trying these out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are Stephanie, I hope you like them.

      Delete
  2. These look so yummy :)

    Thanks for sharing #CreativeMondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Claire, thanks again for the party.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I would love to know what you think.